Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Meditation and Forgiveness

The world is so different...yet some things remain the same.

With all the political, economical, and nature's turmoil going on in the world, I take 15 minutes out of my world and try to meditate.  It is my favorite form of prayer.  For years in my 20's and 30's, I had no problem.  Today, it's a different.  Before, I don't know if it's all my experiences, the things I've seen, or just life's daily challenges kept me from succeeding but it had been very difficult to silence my mind.

Lately, with the help of a dry sauna, the silence has gotten stronger.  First of all, I am claustrophobic.  Fortunately, the "box" has a glass door so light comes in, I can see out or if worse comes to worse, there is a soft white light you can turn on.  It can remind you of a coffin which in itself is eerie, except that you're sitting down.  In a way its symbolic like dying to oneself.    When you silence the mind, you allow for our Lord to make the best of a bad situation. a win/win situation...what it should have been before we interfered with our opinions, thoughts and unfulfilled intentions.

Meditation is the best teacher of letting go.  Now, just step back and watch and listen - you will without a shadow of a doubt begin to see and hear clearer, and  literally, find light at the end of the tunnel.  By the way prayer has the same effect, except we're telling him what we want.  Meditation on the other hand lets it become what it should be.

Ok, ok...I'm just speaking from my experience but you never know...its worth trying.

One of the other things I practice in meditation is forgiveness.  It makes my world brighter and has the same effect of letting go, and letting God.  Sometimes you have to forgive over and over again, until you succeed in letting go completely.

There's a poem on forgiveness that I'd like to share with you.  It's written by the late Robert Muller, former secretary-general of the United Nations.  It speaks to our world today.  Please take the time to read it.

Decide to Forgive

Decide to forgive
For resentment is negative.
Resentment is poisonous
Resentment diminishes and devours the self.
Be the first to forgive.
To smile and to take the first step
And you will see happiness bloom
On the face of your human brother or sister.
Be always the first
Do not wait for other to forgive
For by forgiving
you become the master of fate
The fashioner of life
A doer of miracles.
To forgive is the highest,
Most beautiful form of love.
In return you will receive
Untold peace and happiness.
And here is the program for achieving a truly forgiving heart:
Sunday:  Forgive yourself.
Monday:  Forgive your family.
Tuesday:  Forgive your friends and associates.
Wednesday:  Forgive across economic lines within your own nation.
Thursday:  Forgive across cultural lines within your own nation.
Friday:  Forgive across political lines within your own nation.
Saturday:  Forgive other nations.
Only the brave know how to forgive.  A coward never forgives.
It is not in his nature.




This poem has been printed many times.  I'm sure you've seen it before, but it bears repeating.


Our world is in much need of prayer, forgiveness, and love.  Fifteen minutes of prayer in silence is nothing.  Let's help heal the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment