Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Two great quotes for 2014

“The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There's only one moment for you to live, and that is the present moment”

― Gautama


"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."


Yep, 2014 is here!

People were popping what sounded like bombs in our neighborhood last night.  We were over at our forever bff's home, Dee Dee and Leo Rodriguez just down the street from our home.  Just minutes after midnight the lights went out.  We all laughed except for the little ones.  Hearing the loud kabooms and sitting in the dark was scary. Dee Dee and her daughter, Laura, lit candles throughout the house.  I called AEP and was put on hold but a recording said lights were out in Laredo, Mission and in our area in McAllen.  What?!!   Welcome, 2014!!!

But it didn't phase us.  The candles gave the house a glow - gave me the warm fuzzies.  Being together in the "glow"...was priceless!

I was kept on hold the whole time and never got to speak to anyone before the lights came on so Ralph hurried home to check on the pups - we couldn't get inside because with the lights out the garage door does not work.  I left my purse at home and our house keys were in my purse.  Peggy Sue and Sugar were probably terrified because they hate firecrackers and this year's firecrackers were especially loud.  We laughed at ourselves because we normally take the keys to the back entrance for instances such as this one but this time we did not prepare.  Ralph found Peggy Sue and Sugar scared but safe, located  the keys and came back.

We continued celebrating.  And that's when I realized - this was different...

Any other time, I would have been hysterical knowing that my pups were freaking out and I couldn't get to them.  For some reason I wasn't.  I knew they were in a safe place, alone, but safe. Another time and place, I would have rushed home as soon as the lights came on.  I didn't.

Earlier in the day I commented to Ralph that in spite of the fact that we want to change, create change, or encourage change...we still do the same thing.

"Isn't that "insanity,"  I asked him.  "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting change?"

"So what do you think?" I said.  "Changing just a word, a gesture,...a thought - things we do without even thinking,  Think it can make a difference?   Let's try it."

Normally, Ralph will just nod and agree or disagree, depending on what we're discussing...this time he spoke and agreed.

That was different.

But in truth, I didn't notice it...but I think the universe did.

And the changes continued into the evening, at first they were subtle then the differences became distinct.  I was present to the moment.  I felt different.

Oh, JOY!!!!

Ralph and I celebrated by going to mass this morning.  Different from the last few years..

I understood Father Louie - Different!

Prayed for all our family and friends - before recalling was for immediate family and friends  - with so many family and friends on Facebook I am more involved with so many - we're more present to each other than ever before.  Different!

I like this!

I noticed that I write mostly about the past or things I have experienced...I have difficulty writing about something that hasn't happened,  or making it up.  And it hasn't been easy lately but I'm going to try.  I think its because I believed that putting things in writing was just as serious as the spoken word and that kind of power is scary.  The universe is listening...

But I am not alone - I never was - it just felt that way....different.

Am I making sense?

I'm done...for today, anyway.  I'm going to stop now and enjoy the marvelous dinner my hubby is making for us.  I am enjoying my day...present...

2014 is off to a great start...PRESENT!!!

And THAT is a great GIFT!





1 comment:

  1. Great post, Diana!

    And so glad this year is better for you ... well, than last year at this time!

    Love you!

    (And am going to host something this summer - and will let everyone know (and ask about dates) SOON.) (Maybe next week - or sooner.)

    ReplyDelete