Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Everything I learned, I learned in Kindergarten...

All about Mission...so the majority of our class had some great beginnings.  We attended the local elementary schools where, whether you realize it or not...is where most of who we are was formed.  Thought I'd post all the pictures of all the elementary schools most of my classmates attended.  There isn't a school we attended (MHS - Class of 1970) that hasn't been replaced.

So here's the parade of schools...

FYI:  Today, there are now 15 elementary schools in Mission.  There were only eight elementary schools when we were attending...that's including two catholic schools, Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Paul's.



Bryan Elementary - This school located on Bryan Road was completely redone.  There's a street that runs in front of it now and goes into another neighborhood that wasn't there before.  Ana B. Reyna, Principal.



Joaquin Castro Elementary - Originally this location was known as Citrianna Elementary but was renamed when the original Joaquin Castro Elementary on Rafael Ramirez/Mayberry was torn down.  J. Castro was a World War II hero.  Diana Flores Alcocer (MHS - Class of 1970) was principal for many years at J. Castro Elementary until her retirement two years ago.  Sandra Claflin, principal.



 Marcell Elementary...with two "ll's."  Located on Holland Drive.  Michelle Rodriguez, principal.

 


 Pearson Elementary - Located on South Holland.  Principal, Melissa Davis.



 Roosevelt Elementary - Still at the same location but most of the school has been torn down except for the auditorium which is pictured here.  The auditorium was used briefly by MCISD but I believe the chairs have since been removed.  Roosevelt is no longer a "working" school.




Our Lady of Guadalupe School.  Still in operation, located across street from Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church.


St. Paul School.  I believe its still in operation...no other information available at this time.

I attended OLG from grades Kinder to second grade.  Starting with Mrs. Johnny Lopez, my kindergarten teacher, Sister Mary (?) in first and Mrs. Buschois (don't know if I'm spelling this right) was my second grade teacher.  After a disagreement with Father Delaney, we began attending public school.  I started at J. Castro Elementary, where I met Norma Lee Asebedo for the second time.  Norma Lee and I attended Famelisa Sweat's neighborhood day care when we were three years old.  Among the Mrs. Sweat's alumni were, Medardo de Leon, Jr., Janie De Leon Barratachea, Aida Ramirez, Salvador Hinojosa, twin sisters (can't remember their names...Yikes!!) and I'm sure there were more...  Can anyone remember out there?

 Those were peaceful times....

No comments:

Post a Comment