Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Luau

The Luau

I remember the best tasting hamburgers, ever.  The best Frito Pie - I've had none better since!  I refuse to go eat there.  The last thing I want to burst is a time treasured memory.

My fondness for jalapenos with my fried chicken came from the excellent fried chicken place, the Hamburger King in Edinburg.  My husband, Ralph, who's from Edinburg, shared the same sentiments and the same memory re the jalapenos/fried chicken, we decided to go to Hamburger King when we moved back home in 1992. Big Mistake...my legendary fried chicken died that day....

So many special moments happened at the Luau.  Can anyone forget Celia Munoz' green "moco" stationwagon?  It was  lime green.  I can't recall if it glowed in the dark.  We'd pile in Celia's car and off we went.  It was a great time!



There was a little dive of a burger joint called the Totem Home...  They had the best cheeseburgers...
The pale green building, correct me if I'm wrong...was the original movie theater...don't recall what it was called but it was the pale green building or the one next to it.  Anyone remember?

UPDATE!    Since starting my blog, I have been very fortunate to be in contact with  a couple of our classmates' parents who still remember.  Mrs. Mary Alice Martin and Mr. Medardo de Leon, Jr. have provided me with little extra details that only they can provide.

Mr. De Leon let us know that the green building was indeed a movie theater - a silent movie theater at that.  Mr. Martin didn't remember what kind of movie theater but she confirmed that it was a former movie theater.


EXTRA NOTE:  

In my opinion...they should change the one-way streets back to the way it was...and bring back Mission to life...just wishing!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't remember a theater there. Mission Theater was on east side of conway and was 15 cents and Border was on west side for 25 cents. The Luau now was the Milk Jug back in the day. The Luau was in front of it (north) and the library was on the west side of the Luau....Mrs.Amos (or Amison?) and her great burgers and a dip top cone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and doesn't it look strange to have blue instead of maroon on the stadium?????

    ReplyDelete