Sunday, September 12, 2010

Traditions...

Saw Norma Lee Asebedo Garza asking who knew our Alma Mater...I did...posted it on Mission Eagles Facebook page.

It reminded me of other traditions...like making our first communion at our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church...gosh so many of us graduated together from high school and are still in contact.  That in itself is amazing...NOT traditional...at least not anymore.

Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
The fountains weren't there...  The 12:30 p.m. mass is so crowded, people sit outside on the benches provided...and the loud speakers allow you to follow the mass...that's different...NOT traditional.

Here's our group:


                                                               (Courtesy of Nilda Salinas Paxman)

Left to right (front row)  (Angel) Judy de la Garza, Elva Rodriguez, Dolores de los Santos, Diana Corpus, Maria Guadalupe Moreno, unknown, Sylvia Garza, unknown, Lucilla Garcia, Laurie Diaz, Mary Lou Garcia, Yolanda Lopez, Martha Ortiz, unknown, Angel - Irma Hinojosa.
Left to right (second row):   Angel-Yolanda Rodriguez, Teresa Rivera, Diana Flores, Gloria Gonzalez, unknown, Nilda Salinas, Velma Arce, unknown, Angel - Imelda Hinojosa.
Left to right (third row):  Jaime Barrera,  Elizabeth Diaz.
Left to right (fourth row):  Angel behind Jaime (looks like Maria Guadalupe Moreno's sister), unknown, unknown, Robert Murillo, unknown, big space, Celia Munoz, Ma. Isabel Cristina Vela, Belinda Lopez, Irma Cavazos.
Fifth Row:  (The boys are harder to recognize), unknown, unknown, unknown, Javier Zamora, Armando Cespedes, Alvino (?),  Ramiro Ocana.
Sixth Row:  unknown, unknown, Arthur Tarbutton, Angel-Alicia Lopez, Father Delaney, Angel - Sylvia Longoria.

Notice my dress is shorter than everyone's...I'm posing...NOT traditional.

The names that are highlighted, still keep in touch...still hang together...we are six of eight "Divatudes" - NOT traditional.

My mom made my veil.  I saved it and my daughter, Adri, wore it when she made her first communion.  Traditional.



My kindergarten photo. My uniform - Traditional
Notice the scarf...NOT traditional.

It made me think...

I've guess I've always been different...it makes some people uncomfortable.  How many of us change to please others...to try and "fit" in...even now?  Change makes people uncomfortable.  How old do we have to be to be happy with oneself?  Growing old is inevitable.  Becoming old is in the eye of the beholder.  Thinking old makes you...well, old.  Some traditions have grown out of style...like respect, integrity, dignity, reading, spelling...  Growing up does not mean growing old...it means knowing better.  Being able to laugh at yourself makes you young.  I like being different.  Jesus was different.   


 I'm comfortable with that.

1 comment: