Friday, September 10, 2010

Oh, the music... Long live the Local Bands!!!

Oh, the nights of tripping the light fantastic...the high school dances at the Mission Community Center...

I wanted to share some 45's that I hung on to.  Some belong to my husband's family....


These are just two 45's that Ralph's grandmother, Estella P. Lane wrote that got recorded and I made reference to on my first blog.  Uncle Jack Lane, wrote also.  He's on the flip side.

***************************************************************************

LOCAL BANDS

Here are promotional records from some of the bands that were around during my college years.

The first record is by a band that's still around...a little older but here nonetheless...

The Innkeeper Band...
There's a story on The Innkeepers return in the Progress Times:  This is the record they mention in the article.  I tried to get a direct link to the story but this is the best I could do.

As you read the article...familiar names like Richard Martinez, Ramiro Barrera, (MHS Class of 67), Juan Rivera, gosh even David Trevino...so many more...read!

http://www.progresstimes.net/20090501.htm
The article is 7th on the list: 



**********************************************************************
SCAM

The name of the next band was SCAM....don't know if its an acronym for something else...but Albert Theis played trumpet, Eloy Reyna (Class of 70) on trombone - anyone out there recognize this....or have any more information?


This reads backwards...                     "Sot Ab Netiuga Es On"
                                                           written by Albert Theis
                                                          "No Se Aguiten Batos"

Literal translation:   Don't get depressed, guys...

The flip side is:                                            "Today"
                                                               by SCAM


***************************************************************
And the last...

SWEET RAIN

The name of the band was Sweet Rain.
Encarnacion Fuentes on vocals...his brother, Eddie Fuentes, saxophone.  Eddie was band director for P.S.J.A. High School a few years back.  He died of cancer.  He was a funny, talented guy.  I remember John Henry, another band director, Eloy Reyna was also in this band...




****************************************************************
...AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST

The Playboys of Edinburg

Playboys of Edinburg were around during the 60's (61-69).  They recorded "Look at me girl" (Pharaoh Records) 1966 it was their second single.  Bobby Vee recorded their song...

James & Michael Williams - two church choir boys with beautiful voices...

Here's a great story on the Playboys...its worth reading!!!!!
The Playboys of Edinburg  
(Random Note:  (My daughter Sam likes these...)  If you look into the article there's a bill advertising a dance...one of the bands mentioned is the Zachary Zachs from Corpus Christi.  Years later when I moved to Houston, I met a wonderful lady, Sharon Hollingsworth, who resides in Houston now but originally from Gregory Portland.  At the time I met her she was still married to Michael Taylor...the lead singer for the Zachary Zachs...small world...


And a sample of  The Playboys...

Their second single..."Look at me Girl"



Ahhh...the 60's - "Wish you had a Heart"

* * **** * *

Best memories...

*  Dancing to "Color My World" when the band took a break.
*  Watching Rick de la Garza on drums.
*  The endless practices...

*  The hope of making it big someday...
*  I could eat two Whataburger's at a sitting...and didn't gain weight!!!!


Like Bob Hope would sing..."Thanks for the memories"   (humming...)

Love you guys...


Oh,  take a minute to play Eddie Holman's "Hey there Lonely Girl"    (Sophomore year...yes it  was like that)

2 comments:

  1. I'm very excited that you mentioned Sweet Rain here! I just found this super-rare 7" in a big box I got from a radio station. It's so interesting! I don't know if you're still checking in on this 11 years later, but I'd love to know more about these guys. Was it really just a bunch of band teachers?

    If you see this, please drop me a line! I run mindlessshelfindulgence.com and I can be reached at robotbacon at gmail. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Letty. My dad was Encarnacion Fuentes and he passed away last week. I do not own copies of his old records and I was wondering if you would sell them. Edgar Fuentes was my uncle

    ReplyDelete