Thursday, January 27, 2011

It happens...

Times, yes, they are a changing...

If you're from Mission, Texas, attended schools there or visited you were automatically imbued with love for football.

Being a Mission Eagle meant loyalty, integrity, and pride....spirit pride.  Friday nights was football night.  Even if you couldn't afford a ticket...all you had to do was wait until half-time and you could go in free.  For me, I joined the band - free games, free trips, and a front row seat at the football game.  Literally, back then the band sat on the sidelines, on the field right down from cheerleaders and the football players.

We have a legacy - Mission made it to state back when it was 2A - 1941...and we have Tom Landry.  You can't miss the mural in downtown Mission.  I didn't come to know the Eagles until I was in junior high and Lum Wright was coach.  (I remember his sons, too, we hung around in the summers during Summer Recreation.).  Don't hold me to it, but if you're from Mission, chances are you're a die hard Dallas Cowboy fan and a Mission Eagle for all eternity.


The Mighty Mission Eagles "flew" high for many years - prior to 1970.  I learned two years ago just before our 2010 Homecoming that the "flying" eagle was grounded or retired after 1970, depending on how you look at it.  The eagle now appears as a head of an eagle.  Gone are the spread wings - gone is the freedom.  Well, not exactly but you gotta admit...clipping an eagle's wings???   I don't think so!

And the biggest change of all...


There it is!  Burnett Stadium has changed - now the home of the Veteran's Patriots - Mission's second high school.  And in the Mission tradition...they're one heck of a football team.

Good football, is good football. 

So Dallas didn't make it to the Super Bowl...but it will be a very colorful game for sure.  Looking forward to some hot chili, micheladas and good football.  Being a die hard football fan except for that one time in the 70's when football went on strike - I did disown football temporarily - and discovered there was life after football.  I tried the Houston Oilers and got tired of not being able to kick the door down and came back to the Cowboys...only to experience the same "dang door that still wouldn't come down."

I can stand just about anything...wrong calls, bad referees...missed passes, but can somebody tell me...
WHAT'S WITH THE LONG HAIR????   THERE'S NO LONG HAIR IN FOOTBALL!!!!  UCKY SWEATY LONG HAIR WHIPPING IN THE WIND, SLAPPING YOUR FACE SILLY!  HEY GUYS, PUT IT IN A PONY TAIL OR TIE IT BACK...ENOUGH!


I was just saying...

 I know it's not until February 6th...but on to SUPER BOWL!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. That is Burnett Stadium? I wouldn't have believed it (with the PATRIOTS' name on it) if you hadn't shown a picture of it! That makes me frown.

    And yes, I am a die hard Cowboys fan - but not a Jerry Jones fan.

    Yes, I so agree with you about that long hair. Good grief. It is awful. AWFUL.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I am a die hard MISSION EAGLES' fan!!!

    ReplyDelete