Saturday, January 1, 2011

2000 - 2010

It doesn't seem like a whole lot but it's been ten years...a decade.  Eighteen years ago, our family moved back to the Rio Grande Valley...this after being gone for 22 years.  I was unrecognizable...but I would recognize our classmates anywhere.  I found out no one was planning our 30th class reunion.

So I got started.  It was 2000 and also the year my oldest daughter graduated.  Although my daughters were active in each of their prospective classes, their high school experience was not something they wanted to remember much less celebrate.

I saw things different.  I'm not saying my high school experiences were wonderful but it's the kind of stuff that makes you who you are...the precursor to real life choices.  It was the memories that I wanted to preserve, and the friendships...it's what got me started organizing the Annual Summer Reunions for Mission High School Class of 1970.

The first one...no one had any photos.  It was held at Pepe's on the River (owned by Jalapeno's in McAllen).  We had about 50 classmates attend and 25 friends and spouses.  No one wanted to have it and this was done with zero expenses.  If you wanted to eat or drink...it was on you.  Expenses seemed to be the reason no one wanted to continue with the reunions.  Seems the Class of 70 was left holding the bag at the last reunion so to speak and the expense came out of unsuspecting classmates.  No one wanted to hold another one.  Jane De Leon Barratachea and Cita Garza Jimenez were the only two volunteers

I had to do something.  Queen of doing things at the most minimal of expenses, I jumped in with all fours and Elva Salinas Boren backed me up.

The second (2001) annual summer reunion provided five photos...here's one of Armando Gonzalez and Refugio Huerta...buds since forever... 

We had it at Elva Salinas Boren's home.  I think we were about 15 people that showed up. 










2002 - Jeanne Valverde Martinez and her husband Steve, opened up their lovely home for this reunion.  It was well attended and everyone had a great time.  Again minimal expense. 

 The best time we've had, happened the next night.  Jaime Barrera was there.

 


 It was Chango Jerry's and we had a blast!!


The following year (2003) we had our reunion at Archie Acevedo's home.  It was excellent and well attended.  Again, minimal expense.  BYOB and food and snacks were brought by everyone. 


So it became an annual event.  Some years were better than others.  Always the local and diehard supporters attended.  Rick de la Garza, Fernando de la Garza, Mary Lou Garcia Martinez, Janie De Leon Barratachea, Gloria Gonzalez Pena, ...well, you know who you are.

 2004 - Two nights - Archie's and Justice Hall!!! -  It was the 4th of July!!!


The second night...Justice Hall!!


It would be the last reunion Celia would attend....

Then there was the 35th.  It was our 70's themed party.  We gave black lights, psychedelic t-shirts, and posters for door prizes.  I was expecting a big turnout.  But it was the locals and a few out of town classmates who's support never wavered. 

Then there was 2006...it was getting harder but the diehards hung in there.
  

No pictures for 2007 but 2008 brought two nights...  One at Pepe's on the River

The next night in my back yard...

2009 - Brought the planning committee together for the last hurrah...2010


And it finally arrived  - Our 40th Class Reunion. - July 9-11, 2010



That was the last ten years.  It's been great - but this organizer is hanging up her tennis shoes.  Overall, I thank God for the opportunity afforded me.  It was great seeing all the wonderful faces, learning new things about old friends, and getting reacquainted with those that made it.

I've been trying to bring people together always...  Through Holy Spirit Parrish, at McAllen High School ...at University of Texas-PanAmerican, with My Circle of Friends Couple Group, our class of 1970 and lastly the Divatudes.

I have no regrets -

I have come to realize that friends come and go - it's nature. People come into our lives throughout our lifetimes for different reasons. Some stay a while,  some cross your path for a short time, others needed you there for a life lesson.  Some walk by your side, others come into your path, full speed and uninvited bringing negative or distructive energy into your life. It's hard to shake those off while you're trying to balance your life.

Friends will come and go, fulfilling their purpose as you did in thiers. A true friend knows you inside out and no matter how far distance separates you, or how long the silence between phone calls, when you resume communication, it's like you just talked yesterday. You bring out the best in each other.

I've tried not to hold on to friends but just let friendship take its course. When a friendship ends, I am grateful for the time and move on. If I end a friendship to keep my life clear from negative influence, I am grateful for what ever that person taught me, for we are only reflections of each other in another place and time.

I used to cry over lost friendships, but life has taught me to let go and know that each one had a reason to be and a purpose in my life.  Instead, I'm eternally grateful.

There is one memory though that I wished would have turned out different.  That was at our 2005 reunion.  John Leidner made the trek from Georgia.  It was great seeing John.  But I couldn't help but see the disappointment on John's face at his seeing only  few to none of his childhood buddies.  I wish I could have produced more of his friends. 
Maybe we'll get another chance...anyone.....anyone.....anyone!

Here's looking at you kid...see you on Facebook.

IT'S  2011!!!!

Well, that's it!  So here's looking forward to the next 10 years, my daughter Sam's wedding, my fabulous husband, my puppies, and the Divatudes...    God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment