Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Javelina or not...rest in peace!

Sunday, December 26, 2010 - Heading home to the Valley

Whoa!  Last thing we expected after such a wonderful time with my daughters and meeting new friends was meeting head on with a mature javelina.  On the last stretch of our much enjoyed trip to Kyle and San Antonio, right between I-37 and 281 (I-59), we encountered a big dark bulk crossing the highway.  We had just turned into I-59 for the five mile connection to George West.  Ralph was picking up speed...50 - 55 mph in a 65 mph road (it's 70 in the daytime).  At first it looked like a big lab crossing the road.

"What is it?"  I yelled bracing myself  for a hit.

"Can't tell...looks like a big dog."  Ralph answered as he gradually angled to the left (We were on the right hand lane.).

Without warning the "big bulk" turned and aimed head on into our van.

Then there was an EXPLOSION!  The impact of the animal meeting car was like those big movie scenes when the hurling object makes contact with an oncoming car.  In the movies it appears as a slow motion explosion that quickly explodes and then implodes back into stillness.  Yes, that's the way it was.

Just then the phone rang, It was Kendra, who was babysitting our home and puppies.  "Kendra, we just hit something big on the road!"  I quickly told her.  "We're pulling over.  I'll call you back!"

Ralph pulled over about 50 or so feet from the impact.  Ralph walked back a ways on the road.

"Whatever we hit is dead..."  Ralph's voice trailed off.  "...or injured."

Judging from the smell of our car, it was a wild animal.  Yes, we had hit a javelina.  There were others that had crossed waiting on the other side.

"I wouldn't get too close."  I warned Ralph.  "If its hurt it can charge."

Ralph turned around and walked to the front of the car to access our damage.  The right half of our bumper was ripped off.  Electrical light strings hung out like guts.  The right signal light completely gone.  Left hanging was a big piece of the back of the bumper stuck between the right-hand tire and the remaining bumper.

Hearing Ralph's description, I jumped out of the car in 41 degree weather (I know this because our van has a built in temperature gauge.) wearing only warm fuzzy booties on my feet...I like to travel comfortably.

IT WAS COLD!!!

Ralph had surmised that the hanging piece of bumper was rubbing on the tire.  We needed to tie the piece of bumper back away from the tire, but with what?

We went back into the car and quickly started searching for rope, bumper cables, anything to tie the bumper back so we could go into town and really access our damage in the light.  There was nothing except the shoe strings of my walking shoes.

Ralph looked at me.  "Looks like we just have your shoe laces."  he said.

"Go for it, hon!"  I responded.  "I can always buy new shoe laces."

My Mr. McGuyver to the rescue.  He quickly removed the shoelaces and tied back the piece of bumper.  We rolled down the windows to listen for any obstructions noises, hearing none, we drove into George West.

And because the Lord is always watching over us...there was a lone open bay at the first gas station we saw and a mechanic was standing just inside, out of the cold.

We drove up and he approached us.

"We think we just hit a javelina down the road and it's destroyed our bumper."  Ralph began.  "I tied it back with shoestrings to keep it frm rubbing the tire.  So far the car seems to be ok.  I just need to be sure."

The mechanic looked at Ralph's handiwork and complimented him.

"Looks like that's holding real well."  He noted.  "Turn off the heater and lets listen to the motor."

Sure enough, there was a scraping noice coming from behind the fan.  The mechanic went back into his shop and returned with a long wire.  Well, it was more of a gadget with these three prongs at one end and a button at the other end that controlled the prongs.  I had to chuckle.  Ralph has one of those at home.  It's the gadget I rode him for weeks for purchasing, and the one I've had to swallow number of time each time he has been able to "retrieve" hidden objects from oblivion.

And here was that gadget...I kinda of thought it was God winking at me.

After a few minutes of maneuvering the wire, he emerged victorious with a 3-inch square piece of bumper locked securely in the grip of the three-prong gadget.  Gone was the scraping noise.

The mechanic pronounced us safe, said "no charge" and off we were on the road home.

I called our insurance while Ralph drove, and filed a claim arriving safely in McAllen after 10 o'clock.

Our car is now in a stall at Hacienda Ford...a hospital of sorts, being put back together.  Oh, and so I don't forget, I did call Kendra back and let her know our arrival time...thank God for GPS's.

Two months ago, our car was parked at Ralph's work.  It got hit by an 18 wheeler while trying to back up its load into the loading dock.  It cracked the bumper in half.  Our bumper had just been replaced two months ago.

I could be down.  I could say, "Why me, Lord?"  I could be asking God if I should be concerned...you know, is there more down the line???

NOT AT ALL!!

I am so thankful to God for a quick-thinking and creative husband - had he braked or over compensated we could have easily flipped.   It could have been worse judging from the size of the animal.  I am grateful for the sturdiness of our car for withstanding yet another assault.  I am grateful for the lone bay with the kind mechanic at the Shall Station at the Northeast corner of downtown George West.  I am grateful for the insurance lady, Deasha, who made everything better.  Yes, it's gonna cost us...but God has also provided for that.

God is Great!!!

As for the javelina...I'm sorry for his family, I wished he/she had survived. Without going into any further explanation, had my husband not promised to drive more carefully - we might not be here.  I know this creature laid down his/her life to remind me...remind us that God is always with us...in the "smallest" of creatures.    Mr./Mrs. Javelina, rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment