Monday, December 27, 2010

Silent Night

Friday, December 24, 2010 - Christmas Eve

There is something I want you to know, and no, I am not delusional.  I believe in Santa Claus.  Yes, there is a Santa Claus.  Just like the spirit of Jesus Christ exists...so does you know who.

I'm often reminded of Christmas past - yes, another story.

We had just moved to Longview, Texas.  The company we were with had declared bankruptcy and another outfit had bought it so we were off  to Longview.  Diana was 4, Adri 3, and Samantha was 3 months old.  I was recovering from having giving birth and Bell's Palsy.  Bell's Palsy is a facial paralysis brought on by any one of the following factors:

1.  Going from hot to cold environment can trigger it.
2.  An ear infection
3.  Stress
4.  You know the warning our moms would also tell us...never sleep under a fan with wet hair...well, yes that one too.
5.  A pregnancy

I unfortunately, had the first three and number five.  I actually looked like my face had fallen off the map.  But this is another story.  The one I'm telling is about our Christmas in Longview, Texas.

It was a difficult time financially.  You know, the kind that makes you wonder how you're going to get through and how you're going to provide Christmas to smiling expecting faces.

No matter where I went people starred.  I don't blame them.  I looked like a monster....unable to close my eye (I had to tape it shut to sleep...my mouth drooping on one end, trying so hard not to drool, and it was painful.  But life went on....  This too shall pass but meanwhile, what to do.

I cannot tell  you the number of times God has been here for me...for us.  Five days before Christmas, this store went bankrupt...everything was 75% off.  At the time She-Ra was the popular toy.  Her and her defenders of the light and their horses.  I was able to purchase the complete entourage along with the horses for pennies on the dollar.  My girls had the best Christmas ever.

In fact, it was a topic of discussion at our Christmas celebration.  Don't let anyone fool you if they tell you little children don't understand or feel what's happening in a family dynamic.  These little ones feel it, too.  My daughters remembered. 

They remembered that they, in their hearts of hearts, didn't expect anything...and what they got was the best Christmas ever.  Santa had not only come to their home...he brought them exactly what they wanted.  With She-Ra, Frost, and He-Man (I might have made this last one up) they could fight evil for the good of all mankind.  Yes, it was like that.

I had some material I had previously purchase and two days of non-stop sewing (Ralph took over the babysitting) and I was able to make them three dresses for three princesses.  (Thanks, mom, for the gift of teaching me to sew!)  Christmas morning, my girls put on their pale blue velvet dresses  and we were off to celebrate the birth of Jesus at church.  We are so blessed!

Santa was here - with all his spirit of goodwill and love.

Yes, it was like that!

                                                                           *    *    *

This year we celebrated Christmas at Samantha's home.  She's my youngest.  It has been a banner year for Samantha.  She bought a house,  got engaged and received her Masters in Science.  She'll be marrying Rory Hastings Oldham on December 10, 2011 in Kyle, Texas at the Old Town Hall.  We are very proud and happy for Samantha and Rory.

It was also Samantha's first time to cook a turkey.  She was brilliant!....and her Pecan and apple pies weren't too shabby either.


Unable to get pictures up...sorry!

1 comment: