Monday, September 24, 2012

And then it happened, I fell in love with football, again!!

I'm talking about loving football.  I can't believe it!

I first enjoyed football when I was a young girl going to the high school football games with the band.  Mission Eagles were the bomb!  Now, that was FUN!! I actually watched and learned something.

Then there were was football on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's...year after year.

In the beginning, it was okay.  After a while, it was one too many football games.  I don't care how much in love I was...enough was enough.  Luckily, our family was very supportive (despite brother-in-law complaints) and football was set aside for the family.

As time went along, families divided into their own little family group celebrations and established their own holiday routines.

In this family, the girls ruled...but Ralph found a kindred spirit in Sam, our youngest.  Samantha really learned the game.  She'd always asked questions.  By the time she was in high school, she had her dad eating out of her hand and he had a football buddy for life.

Well, little girls grow up and move away and now she shares her own team, the Dallas Cowboys with her husband, Rory.

Then there was the empty nest and ESPN.

There was football on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday,Thursday, Saturday...and repeats on Tuesday and Friday.  I was up to my eyeballs in football!!

Then something happened last year.  Its called Red Zone on Dish Network.  It shows every possible great play or touchdown as it occurs throughout the day on Sunday.  I was fascinated.  Don't misunderstand me.  I do like football but just not to watch it every downtime minute with the channels being switched every other minute.  But watching Red Zone was a totally different experience.  It was watching the best of the best on multi-screens, touchdowns...and not having to listen to those brainless announcers that are trying to relive out their past behind the microphone.  Yes, announcers are a bigger pet peeve of mine so is my husband's constantly switching channels.

So this year, we decided to give it a try.  For $1.12 each Sunday for the entire football season, my husband (and I) has six hours straight of nothing but football, football, football!  Me?  I love good football.  I rather watch college football but good, professional, football...priceless!  And I found my football groove again (and no more channel surfing!!!)

And even though Dallas is my favorite team - I'm waiting for the Cowboys to back their quarterback!!!...I may watch the Washington Redskins (whom I totally dislike!) but I will watch them ONLY because Robert Griffin III is quarterbacking.

Hey!  Good football is good football!


* * *






No comments:

Post a Comment