Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Days gone by...


One of my fondest memories growing up in Mission was driving through the Shary Estate in Sharyland, Texas.  Located northeast of Mission on Shary Road off Buddy Owens, John Harry Shary built the Shary Estate for his family.  Shary brought his family from Nebraska and settled  into Valley life while he blazed a trail through the citrus industry.  He had one daughter, Marialice, who married  Texas Govenor Allan Shivers.

Growing up, my dad worked for Allen Brun in Edinburg and sometimes we'd go pick him up.   My mom would take Shary Road.  At night it looked lonely and ominous and I loved that drive.  One Easter, our favorite spot was taken so Daddy had to drive around to find a spot.   We found ourselves driving down Shary Road.   It was the first time we had a real close up view in the daytime and what a sight it was!

Back then the orchards surrounding the estate had the tree tops completely leveled with each other.  I don't know who or how they did it but the tops were level and stood in perfectly straight diagonal lines.  Just before you reached the estate on the right (West) side was a beautiful garden with stairs leading down into a wide ravine-like area filled from side to side with beautiful manicured grass.  Palm trees and red bouganvillas accented small areas. As you drove by, the sudden drop on the right was so unexpected that by the time you reacted to the sight, you missed a quite different contrast on the left which was that of an enormous open pool surrounded by palm trees lined up straight up and down the sides.  It was a humongous reflection pool.

I remember that "drop" was also used for a panoramic photo taken of all the representatives of the different organizations and clubs at Mission High School. And my most memorable person...Robbie Sue Maloy, pictured with her drum major uniform was among the group of high school students.   Mission High School Class of 1966 Yearbook photo was awesome!  I couldn't wait to be in high school.

A little trivia to add to my memory; Linda Garza, Cynthia Garza Weber's sister, is also in the photo.  I hope I remembered this correctly.  Cynthia's dad, Eddie Garza, who graduated valedictorian of his class (Sharyland High School), worked for Shary Estates until his retirement.  I was always fascinated by Cynthia's knowledge of the building...there's even a bowling alley. To this day I've never been inside.

Shary Estates was also a part of our high school "Chicken!" dare games.  Rumors were that there was a ghost on the premises at night especially around the chapel where supposedly Shary folks were interned.  Turned out it was the night watchman who took care of the premises...but I found out John Harry Shary was buried in the small chapel!

Well, it's been some time now but if you haven't heard or read the news...UTPA couldn't pay for the upkeep and sold the Shary Estate.  The Monitor's Shary Estate Sold! tells of the new owner from Laredo, who plans to turn it into a unique events center of sorts.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.  Maybe they'll restore the grounds to their former glory. Maybe guided tours...I'd take it!

I feel about the Shary Estate the same way I feel about driving by Crystal Waters in Mission...I know the swimming pool is gone but in my eyes, I still see it in all its glory every time I drive by.

(And, no, I'm not delusional...lol!)



No comments:

Post a Comment